989 Design

989 Design is one of the Tri-Cities' leading graphic design studios. Specialties include logo and identity design, branding, and all forms of marketing communications.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What Kind of Day Has it Been?



Today's photo is a shot of Midland Street during last week's snowstorm. It was taken on February 1 at about 7:00AM.

It's only 10:35 as I sit down to write this entry and already I can say that the day has been great. From the moment I first opened my eyes, I was in a great mood (mostly because I was happy to wake up this morning after a night of half-nightmares).

This morning was the Bay Area Chamber of Commerce Eye Opener Breakfast. Because I was going to be out in public instead of just in the studio, I chose my good clothes rather than the Preferred Studio Uniform of jeans and Ramones t-shirt.

I got to the breakfast, walked in and ran the gauntlet of Chamber Ambassadors--these are the folks who stand at the door and make you feel welcome when you first arrive. They really are nice people, but whenever I walk into a room with that many green sports jackets I fully expect--nay, demand--that Tiger Woods and Seve Ballesteros be among them. Otherwise, it's just a lot of green coats, you know?

Anyway, as I am walking in and saying hello to the folks at the door, I see someone look at me and then lean to the person next to them and whisper, "that guy has great hair." Maybe 'whisper' isn't the right word since I heard them say it, but it was awfully nice to hear. It's not that I think I have great hair or anything. In fact, I was planning on getting it cut this week, but I might have to rethink that plan.

The breakfast was the normal Kingfish breakfast buffet, followed by some introductions and some speakers. I tend to sit in the back part of the room (because that's where the cool kids always sit, right) and invariably I only hear about half of what is said. I either need to start sitting closer to the front or hone my lip-reading skills.

There was an interesting presentation on economic development in Bay County by Fred Hollister from Bay Future, Inc. I appreciate the work they are doing because I left a pretty good gig in Denver and tied my entire future to the Tri-Cities. The more they work to promote growth in the area, the better it is for everybody trying to make a future here.

While we're on the topic of the future of Bay City, at some point I really need to make a few notes on why I am not sold on the proposed Maritime Heritage Center. Autoworld, anyone?

In closing, I know that I'm a bit off of my one-post-per-week schedule, but I am trying. In my defense I was pretty sick a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what my excuse is since then, but I'm sure I could come up with several if I were pressed. My (almost) weekly columns will begin running next week. Please take the time to check back and comment.

Have a great week everybody.

Your pal...

...shawn...

1 Comments:

Blogger laurie russell said...

I've gone to those chamber breakfasts when I freelanced, and I also sat in the back. Better to see what everyone is up to that way. But I guess it's not the best way to be seen. I think all of my friends would say I'm hard to miss, no matter where I sit.

Nice photo! Looking forward to seeing more.

Laurie

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home