989 Design

989 Design is one of the Tri-Cities' leading graphic design studios. Specialties include logo and identity design, branding, and all forms of marketing communications.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Regular or decaf?


As silly as it sounds, I really like pouring the coffee when 989 Design is the Chamber coffee sponsor. I always enjoyed my retail jobs in the past because, on the whole, I really do like people. I may pretend that isn't the case, but there I was this morning with a coffee pot in each hand and a smile on my face.

"Regular or decaf?" I asked.

The studio doesn't get much foot traffic—almost none, in fact. Outside of the mailman and Randy the UPS guy, it's rare to have anyone randomly stop by. So having thirty minutes to socialize and say good morning to a lot of people is fun for me. Plus, if this whole graphic design thing doesn't work out, I think Greg has a spot for me behind the bar. So I've got that going for me.

The hardest part of the coffee sponsorship is having to speak in front of the whole room for two minutes. I never really prepare what I am going to say because I end up sounding like a robot. Instead, I think of a few points I want to hit and wing it, hoping to not hear the bell that indicates I've gone over my two minutes (I'm two-for-two on being on time). Today I talked a little about the studio, a little about the site, pitched the Good Works Group again, and then did a few 15-second spots for the Saginaw Spirit, Great Lakes Loons and Saginaw Bay Symphony Orchestra. I hit all of my points, stayed under two minutes, and didn't throw up on my shoes.

I did get the chance to talk to a few friends and even met a few new people. All in all, I'd say it was a successful morning.

When I first moved to Bay City, I joined the Chamber to get to know more members of the business community in the area. I was new in town and didn't really know anybody. I've been a member of the Chamber for around four years now and even though I wasn't as active a participant in Chamber events the first year or two (which was dumb on my part, I realize, but I'm kind of shy), I've really tried to be more active the past couple of years.

Speaking for two minutes in front of a group of ten is intimidating to me, so doing the soapbox at the breakfast is terrifying, but I really do want to get the message out about 989 Design and the Good Works Group. After the breakfast a lot of people told me that I did a good job and I really appreciate that.

Thanks again for the support, Bay City.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home