989 Design

989 Design is one of the Tri-Cities' leading graphic design studios. Specialties include logo and identity design, branding, and all forms of marketing communications.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Am I Living in a Box?


Clearly, I am having a hard time keeping up the blogging schedule I set for myself. It's not that I haven't had anything to write about, it's just that we're starting to get into baseball season and things are (finally) picking up around here.

Part of what has been keeping me so busy is that we are getting more projects in the studio that require both writing and design. I feel pretty comfortable with my writing skills, but when it comes time to write for somebody else it just takes me longer to get my mind around it. Part of it is that I have to learn about their business so that I can write about it intelligently. Plus, it takes me a little time to really "get into character," so to speak. It takes time to find the right voice for a project, the right words, and so forth. I'm enjoying the challenge it brings, but it also makes it harder to shift gears back to the blog.

I've also been spending a little more time reading, which is part of what I wanted to write about today. There is a very nice article in the current issue of Wired. The article is all about designing within boundaries and making that work for you instead of against you. The link above will take you to the intro to the article, which mentions the constraints of the page in graphic design. There are linked pages in the article to short pieces about design electric cars, antenna-less cell phones, and building a better plastic bottle.

As I read the piece it dawned on me that this isn't just about design, but it's about everything. Through the limits placed on us by ourselves or by external forces, we are forced to adapt to these constraints. It's either adapt to them or be crippled by them. With the current state of the economy, we are staring into an abyss that could change our way of life for generations. At the same time, though, there's an opportunity there. Not just for the country as a whole, but for many individuals who are choosing to try something new.

I've had three or four new businesses contact me about designing logos and stationery and each new startup excites me. Will every new business be a success? No, they won't. It's a sad fact, but statistically speaking, it is true. The people I've met with know that they are taking a chance by starting a new business, but they aren't willing to let their current constraints dictate how they choose to live their lives—how they design their lives, if you will.

Look at your current situation. What constraints are there upon you? How can you work within or around them? How can you make your situation work better for you? Try to discover the opportunities that are out there that you might be able to take advantage of.

Image above: From Wired, Bryan Christie Design

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home